Ir al contenido principal

Post 6 - What's your favourite TV show / film?

This time we will be writing about our favourite TV show(s)/ movie(s).
Before you write, try to think about the following:
  • why you like that TV show / movie (personal review)
  • What it is about(storyline)
  • credits (cast/director/photography)
  • favourite episode/scene
  • favourite actor's line
  • any detail you deem worth sharing.

Leave comments on three of your classmates' blog posts and one on mine too. A quality post should have no less than 300 words. 

The beauty of (paying attention to) simple things

About two years ago, I was really depressed. I had to get over a relationship breakup, deal with shitty jobs, and sort out my MA thesis report. Ergo, I was going nowhere. I felt like a lost-and-found office deep inside -finding comfort in my friends was not really an option for me, as I was very ashamed of not being capable of solving my own problems (vicious circle), so I didn´t want to talk to anyone about my misery. The only thing I had in mind at that time was to find myself by myself ASAP -not a very good idea at all! I started going for long walks at nights to watch people's faces and see the city lights melting away time and time again. I remember going to bookshops and compulsively buying lots of books. I read them at any place and anytime. As a result of this, I didn't have any schedule at all. I usually went to bed at 6:00am and got up at 7:00am. In the middle of one of those productive nights, I came across a TV show that would become a life-changing experience forever: Breaking Bad.
Okay, that's sort of trying to get better by listening to Pink Floyd's The Wall or Radiohead's OK Computer -very easy-going!
Breaking bad is the story of Walter White, an ordinary American man, and his journey to the dark side.  After a series of unfortunate events -terminal lung cancer, no health coverage, a frustrating teaching job and his wife pregnancy, he decided to become a crystal-meth cook, a drug dealer, and save the day:

"Gus: What does a man do, Walter? A man provides for his family. Walt: This cost me my family! Gus: When you have children, you always have family, they will always be your priority, your responsibility. And a man… a man provides. And he does it even when he’s not appreciated, or respected, or even loved, he simply bears up, and he does it, because he’s a man."

 

Breaking bad is a highly addictive TV series. I remember watching a whole season in a row without sleeping. The reason why I love it is that everything in it is just perfect. Nothing could have been done in a much better way. It's a highly brain-stimulating show. The dialogues are extreamly philosophical, addressing many socially-entangled phenomena, such as the decay of the American dream, personal and social detachment, and many-many topical issues.  
My favourite dialogue is the one in which Jesse and Jane talk about the pleasure of doing things more than once: The beauty of (paying attention to) simple things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2cSGD4ad0w

Comentarios

  1. Finally Game of Thrones couldn't get over Breaking Bad.
    * Insert Heisenberg pic saying: "I won" *

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

Post 3 - What's you favourite piece of technology?

Hello, my dear explorers! The post assignment for this week is: What is your favourite piece of technology? The idea is to develop a quite convincing argument about the piece of technology you personally think it makes your life easier or more confortable if you like. Please, include: What it is When you got it How you use it. How often you use it Why you like it What life would be like without it Posdata: Your post should have no less than 140 words include a picture leave a comment on three of your classmates' posts and another one on your teacher's post as well To be perfectly honest, I am not the kind of person who is really into the latest technology advances. I do not really care about the latest smart mobile phones, TV screens, cars, or even washing machines, being advertised everywhere and everytime. But, I do not deny the fact that technology has changed our lives for better efficient ends. Personally, I do believe that computers with inte

Post 5 - A photograph and its story

Hello, everyone! For post 5, you have to write about a meaningful photograph of yours. The length of your posts should be in no less than 150 words. Remember to leave comments and put up the photo. Try to say: what we can see in the picture when the picture was taken what happened at the moment someone took the picture or what you were doing at that moment  How you felt You might find some useful info by checking out: http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/exams/speaking-exams/describe-photo-or-picture C Minor On a previous post, I said that when I was much younger, I was really into literature, especially into writing poetry. Well, so I think this is the best chance I have to tell you about it. I liked writing poems at school, but I never dared go a step further. So, I just used to write some verses on notepads that no one would ever read or know about, except the girlfriend I had at that time. The thing is that this girlfriend and I used to attend po

Post 4 - What are some of your favourite hobbies / pastimes?

Dear all, for today's post you have to talk about some of your favourite hobbies / pastimes. If you have any doubts about the difference between these two concepts check out this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaImfgb37vA Try to include the following pieces of information on your posts: what it is/ they are why you like it / them when your passion for it / them began How often you spend time on it /them other important details you deem necessary to write about. This time a quality post should have no less than 140 words. And remember to leave comments on three of your classmates' posts and one on mine. A Bloody Mantra! I've noticed that I tend to have fewer and fewer hobbies as I grow older. Say I'm fast becoming a sort of minimalist without consciously wanting to be such. There is no doubt that having a hobby is investing a lot of time and money in it. So, okay, you have to keep it humble if you don´t have much of any of them.  A